Cobar Visitor Information
Cobar is a town located in the western part of New South Wales, Australia. The town is situated on the crossroads of the Kidman Way and Barrier Highway, which makes it easy to access from different parts of NSW.
Things to Do in Cobar
- Visit Mount Grenfell Historic Site: This is a renowned rock art site that showcases the rich Aboriginal cultural heritage of the area. Visitors can view ancient rock art, go on guided tours, and marvel at the magnificent scenery.
- Explore the Cobar Heritage Walk: This walk takes you through the historical sites of Cobar, including the Great Cobar Heritage Centre and the Old Residency Museum. This is a great way to learn about the town's history while enjoying a leisurely stroll.
- Take a Dip in the Cobar Memorial Swimming Pool: This is a great place to cool off during the hot Australian summers. The pool is well-maintained, and there are shaded areas and picnic spots nearby to relax in.
- Visit the Cobar Miners Heritage Park: This is a fascinating museum that showcases the mining heritage of the area. Visitors can learn about the different mining techniques used, see old mining equipment, and even go on an underground mine replica tour.
- Go Birdwatching: Cobar is located near the Macquarie Marshes and is home to several species of birds, including the endangered Australasian Bittern. Visitors can explore the nearby birdwatching spots and enjoy the sights and sounds of the local wildlife.
Where to Stay in Cobar
There are several accommodation options available in Cobar, catering to a range of budgets and preferences. Some popular options include:
- The Cobar Motor Inn: This is a modern and comfortable motel that is located in the heart of the town. It offers spacious rooms, free Wi-Fi, and a swimming pool.
- The Cobar Town & Country Motor Inn: This motel offers clean and comfortable rooms, free Wi-Fi, and a restaurant that serves great food.
- The Cobar Caravan Park: If you're looking for a more affordable option, this caravan park is a great choice. It offers powered and unpowered sites, as well as cabin accommodation.
Getting Around Cobar
The town of Cobar is relatively small, and most of the main attractions are within walking distance of each other. However, if you prefer to drive, there are several car rental options available in town. Taxis and buses are also available.
Whether you're interested in history, culture, or natural beauty, Cobar has something to offer everyone. With its friendly locals, modern amenities, and stunning scenery, it's a town that visitors won't forget anytime soon.